Request for Validation of Python as Development Language

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 13 09:41:31 EST 2001

"A. Keyton Weissinger" wrote:

> I'm pretty new to the language and I'd like to use it for more stuff at
> work. I'm beginning to feel some of the stigma of it being a "scripting
> language." This is a bad rap. I'm in a .NET/Java shop (about 90%/10% for
> those who care) and I'd like to introduce Python into the mix. But I say
> "scripting language" and people head to the hills yelling "PERL!" which is a
> bit disconcerting (especially since I like Perl too, though not as much as
> Python). They need to hear "object oriented application development
> language" or I need to buck up and realize I'm barking up the wrong tree.

We use Python for writing our largest, most complex applications,
which run in embedded PC104 modules in industrial controller products.

We also use it (via Zope) for a web interface to the equipment in
the field (web front end, Python back end to the embedded stuff).

We use it for GUI-based utilities which are used in production
during calibration and testing of the equipment (Tkinter and wxPython).

We use it (with XML) for processing the test results and printing
them as PDF files.

We use it for a variety of GUI and command-line utilities which
would otherwise have been coded in C or some such, traditionally.

Oh yeah, we write a few "scripts" with it too.  It helps us
avoid the unmaintainable and expensive mess of Perl scripts...

Worried about the rubrik "scripting language"?  Don't be.
Get over it.  Python is by no means "just" a scripting language,
and after all, what's in a name?

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com