Messaging in Py?

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Mon May 21 14:42:34 EDT 2001

David LeBlanc wrote:

> In article <mailman.990385176.4955.python-list at python.org>,
> dsh8290 at rit.edu says...
> > On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 06:36:04PM +0000, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> > | How about SOAP?  Isn't SOAP emergining as a dominant protocol for
> > | messaging, for making requests across HTTP, and for Web services?
> >
> > According the the xml-rpc site the xml-rpc guys used to work for MS.

No, Dave Winer used to work *with* MS on a pre-cursor to XML-RPC. He
wasn't an employee and the people on the project who were MS employees
still are.

> > They left after sharing the xml-rpc idea.  Now they maintain xml-rpc,
> > which is a simple way for using RPC (from the client's perspective,
> > anyways).  SOAP is what the other MS guys ended up with after they
> > bloated xml-rpc with excess features.

Excess in Dave's opinion, I guess. XML-RPC is pretty nice for simple
things but it is VERY basic. You could argue that SOAP is too large and
complex but the world certainly could not get by on XML-RPC alone.

> I'm pretty sure xml-rpc was a sun initiative, but i'm not sure - there's
> a pretty good table at w3.org describing the MANY proposals for remote
> procedure call reccomendations (w3-ese for standard).

No, Sun had nothing to do with xml-rpc.

> FWIW, I think the trend is towards SOAP and away from xml-rpc.

That's true. SOAP has a lot more corporate backing and it handles many
things that XML-RPC does not. e.g. encoding named, structured objects

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.