Messaging in Py?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Tue May 22 15:48:03 EDT 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 07:12:56PM +0000, David LeBlanc wrote:
| In article <mailman.990470431.30830.python-list at python.org>,
| paulp at ActiveState.com says...
<actually, some quoting is missing, D-Man (me) wrote some of this>

| > No, Dave Winer used to work *with* MS on a pre-cursor to XML-RPC. He
| > wasn't an employee and the people on the project who were MS employees
| > still are.
|
| I didn't say that Dave Winer was an employee of MS - that is your
| inference. "A developer" need not be an employee. Nor is any of the above
| text written by me!

Employee of and worked with are fairly closely related -- it is easy
to mix the two up when reading a story only once about people one
doesn't know and hasn't heard of before.  It is probably correct that
Dave Winer (oh, yeah, I guess that's his name ;-)) worked *with* but
never worked *for* MS.

| > Excess in Dave's opinion, I guess. XML-RPC is pretty nice for simple
| > things but it is VERY basic. You could argue that SOAP is too large and
| > complex but the world certainly could not get by on XML-RPC alone.
|
| Dave who? If me, you're misquoting me completely - this quote came from
| D-Man's post. If you mean Dave Winer, i'd be very surprised to hear him
| characterize SOAP as bloated since he's also one of the developers of the
| (current status) SOAP proposal.

I wrote the post describing some of the history of XML-RPC and SOAP.
I was stating from memory what I had read on the xml-rpc.com website
regarding the history of the project.  There are (were?) bound to be
errors since my memory isn't perfect.  I just went back to the web
site, but I can't find any history at all.

-D