Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Thu May 10 01:42:48 EDT 2001

Paul Brian wrote:

> Does teaching bubblesort algorthims help when most high level languages have
> highly efficent sorting routines available?

The point of teaching bubblesort isn't so that you know
how to write a bubblesort. Studying it, together with other
sorting algorithms such as minselect and quicksort, teaches
you how to analyse algorithms and compare the performance
of different algorithms for solving the same problem.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg