Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Sat May 12 03:51:56 EDT 2001

On Thursday I went to a panel of preeminent language designers.  The
consenus is that we *are* all speaking Lisp right now, more or less,
only the name has been changed to Python.  One misty-eyed and
well-known Lisp hacker who now uses Python, proclaimed, "I feel like
I'm programming in MacLisp again!".  Another said, "It's kind of too
bad that they didn't call it 'PyLisp' or something."  Another piped in
and said, "No, for marketing reasons it was good they changed the
name."  Paul Graham says that the next major dialect of Lisp should be
marketed as an improved version of Python.

So, to anyone who is under the misconception that I've been clamoring
for changes to Python, just wait until huge portions of the Lisp
community start migrating to Python!