Python In A Nutshell - suggestions

Louis Luangkesorn lluang at northwestern.edu
Sat Mar 10 11:01:40 EST 2001

Laura,

Well, since your asking for suggestions . . .

One thing I would like the Nutshell book to include are sections on some of the commonly used modules that may not be included in the base
distribution.  I say this because for the language itself and standard modules, there is already printed documentation in the form of the Python
Essential Reference by David M. Beazley and presumably the The Standard Python Library by Fredrik Lundh that is coming out.  But in no place I've seen
is there documentation on the third party modules.

Of course this begs the question of "what are commonly used modules?"  There are a couple of lists out there.  One is the list of modules that is on the
ActiveState page, http://www.activeState.com/Products/ActivePython/Extensions.html,
These include:  tkinter, wxPython, expat, Numeric Python, and ODBC (they have mxODCB, but using DBI 2.0 compliant modules in general would make for a
useful section) Another useful list are the modules that are mentioned in Python Programing for Windows32 by Hammond and Robinson in Chapter 3.  They
only have space for a paragraph each as a teaser, but it would be good to have a few pages in a Nutshell book.  (and if you really want to know, the
modules I use are Numeric Python and ODBC, and I'm going to be choosing between tkinter and wxPython soon)

And while I'm at it, one useful book to have would be on wxWindows/wxPython.  I see references to it in several places, and a few intros on the web, but
nothing that looks like good documentation (besides help files), even on the internet.  (and this book would be useful to C, C++ as well as Python
programmers.)

Thank you. (as I look at my shelf with several binders of printed documentation)

Louis

--
K Louis Luangkesorn
lluang at northwestern.edu  http://pubweb.nwu.edu/~kll560  PGP:0xF3E2D362