A use for integer quotients

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jul 23 00:17:33 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.995860718.9550.python-list at python.org>,
 Moshe Zadka <moshez at zadka.site.co.il> wrote:

> Yes. Nobody said it wasn't of any use, people just claim it is *less*
> useful, and so should not be the most easily accessible. You can
> still have i//j for all your combinatorics needs.

I don't suppose it would be possible to go through some repository of
Python sources and figure out the relative numbers of divisions of integer
arguments that end up an int versus the ones that are coerced to floats?
In my own code it's 100% int/int->int but that's a small unrepresentative
sample.  Note I'm less interested in divisions of quantities that are
already floats as those would be unaffected by this proposal.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/