A use for integer quotients

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Mon Jul 23 00:30:04 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:05:47 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> > Yes. Nobody said it wasn't of any use, people just claim it is *less*
> > useful, and so should not be the most easily accessible. You can
> > still have i//j for all your combinatorics needs.
>
> The serious problem I see here is backward compatibility.  I shudder to
> think at the volume of preexisting, long-standing code that this will
> quietly break

Quietly? Note that in the 2.2 release, there will be *no* change except
that you *can* use //, and the only change is if you
"from __future__ import division".
In 2.3, as I understand it, you'll be able to get warnings out when you
are doing something whose semantics will change.

>, requiring untold man-hours of debugging to find all the
> cases of / which should be replaced with //.

Or just running tests with all warnings except this one turned off,
and going through the pinpointed lines.

--
gpg --keyserver keyserver.pgp.com --recv-keys 46D01BD6 54C4E1FE
Secure (inaccessible): 4BD1 7705 EEC0 260A 7F21  4817 C7FC A636 46D0 1BD6