A use for integer quotients

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 23 00:05:47 EDT 2001

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> Yes. Nobody said it wasn't of any use, people just claim it is *less*
> useful, and so should not be the most easily accessible. You can
> still have i//j for all your combinatorics needs.

The serious problem I see here is backward compatibility.  I shudder to
think at the volume of preexisting, long-standing code that this will
quietly break, requiring untold man-hours of debugging to find all the
cases of / which should be replaced with //.

It's one thing when an operator is added, or a new mode is added for a
preexisting operator, or modules are obsolesced and new ones introduced.
But we're talking about changing the behavior of builtin _operators_ --
that's unnerving, to say the least.

/  \ Nothing you have said / Is revelation
\__/ The Russian, _Chess_
    Product's Quake III Arena Tips / http://www.bosskey.net/
 Tips and tricks from the absolute beginner to the Arena Master.