How to run codeobjects in Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jul 14 12:21:03 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote [...] :
> > Ah, but where I live we have maple syrup and, not to far down the
>
> Nolo contendere: Vermont's maple syrup IS one of the things that
> make life worth living.

Of course, I'm Canadian, so I'd have to defend my own country's
maple syrup as superior, but I'm sure Vermont's is quite adequate
for the ordinary palate ;-).

> Too much
> of pasta's worth is in the cooking and seasoning for that to work --
> yes, you CAN buy real Italian durum wheat spaghetti over there,
> but you're unlikely to have the right water, skill, and sauce to get
> them to perfection (and _cooked_ pasta doesn't travel well).

I can handle the sauce part fairly well (having spent a few
long Saturdays carefully simmering them from fresh tomatoes),
and I like to think I have some modicum of skill, but this is
the first time I've heard the *water* might have an effect.
Now I know I'm but an amateur.

What kind of water is just right?  I've lived in Guelph, Ontario,
much of my life, where the water is extremely hard but very
little treated and so relatively devoid of mystery chemicals.
Pray tell, where must I go for the water I need to improve
the state of my pasta?  Will only bottled Italian water combine
in the right way with the One True Durum Wheat? :-)

On Italy:
> "Few have so brilliant a sense of style and
> fashion, so sumptuous a cuisine and cellar, so strong a tradition
> of melding hard work with pleasure"... for more, see
> http://www.economist.com/surveys/showsurvey.cfm?issue=20010707

I shall.  Thanks. :)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.