How to run codeobjects in Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 10:25:05 EDT 2001

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B50421E.F00DBFD at engcorp.com...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> >
> > "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote [...]:
> > > Alex, please consider moving closer to the Eastern Standard timezone
> > > so that you may answer my questions more quickly.  What's so special
> > > about Italy anyway?
> >
> > Pasta, of course.  You guys can claim your pizza is as good as Italy's
> > (I'd disagree, but there IS space for debate), but our pasta is still
> > nonpareil -- people who decry spaghetti coding don't know what
> > they're blabbering about!
>
> Ah, but where I live we have maple syrup and, not to far down the

Nolo contendere: Vermont's maple syrup IS one of the things that
make life worth living.  The difference is that I can have it sent to
me and it's just about as good after traveling as when eating it
right in Burlington (back when I worked for IBM) -- indeed I have
a bottle waiting for me for next time I make pancakes.  Too much
of pasta's worth is in the cooking and seasoning for that to work --
yes, you CAN buy real Italian durum wheat spaghetti over there,
but you're unlikely to have the right water, skill, and sauce to get
them to perfection (and _cooked_ pasta doesn't travel well).

The latest issue of the Economist magazine has an in-depth survey
of Italy, and, to balance out the fact that it's mostly about the
woes and challenges of our economics & politics, it starts out
with a Paean titled "What a lovely off place!" that's one of the
sincerest and most enthusiastic summaries I've ever read about
my country (which, like most Italians, I love deeply but at times
can hardly stand:-).  "Few have so brilliant a sense of style and
fashion, so sumptuous a cuisine and cellar, so strong a tradition
of melding hard work with pleasure"... for more, see
http://www.economist.com/surveys/showsurvey.cfm?issue=20010707

Alex