Case insensitivity

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 21 16:02:09 EDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:16:42 -0400, "Arthur Siegel" <ajs at ix.netcom.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.995739157.3632.python-list at python.org>:

:Why not comment on Sheila's previous post - an
:unambiguous report of an active and interested
:member of the community backed up
:by numbers of years of classroom teaching
:experience.
:
:Has case sensitivity been found to be a significant
:issue?
:
:"Not once."
:
:Even surprised me a bit.
:
:"Not once."

Let me qualify that just a bit. Here is the actual quote from my
message:

SK > and I don't remember it ever being a problem, where a
SK > student called me over to his/her machine and asked me for help
SK > finding a bug, and it came out to be related to case-sensitivity. I
SK > don't remember this happening even once. There were many other bugs
SK > that made us tear our hair out, but never, never this.

I'm not saying that it never happened. I'm saying, if it did, I don't
remember it. (In other words, it was so easily dealt with--if at
all--that it was not noteworthy.) Also, *if* it did occur (which to my
recollection it did not), it was easily dealt with.

Anyhow, I'm conducting a survey of computer science teachers. I hope I
will get a good 30 to 50 responses? In a few weeks I will post the
results.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/