BLT2.4 with Pmw, Tcl8.3, Python2.0 and Win98 - how?

howard at eegsoftware.com howard at eegsoftware.com
Wed Jan 10 01:52:59 EST 2001

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:43:55 +0000, Norman Charnley
<norman at earth.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've been trying to move up to Python 2.0 under Windows 98, but I cannot
>persuade Pmw to see the Blt module. This was raised some time ago, but
>I've not seen a workable solution posted (a suggestion to put BLT24.DLL
>in the same directory as the Python executable did not fix it for me).
>Anybody have an answer?
Well, I "think" what made it work for me after all was installing the
BLT 2.4 directory (with the pkgIndex.tcl file) into the
\Python20\tcl\tcl8.3
tree (so that the path to the pkgIndex.tcl looks like
     \Python20\tcl\tcl8.3\blt2.4
 ).

Please note:  I did this iteratively (trying to remember to restore
everything back to the 'vanilla' configuration) in the presence of
numerous interruptions.  Please don't try this at home.

>In addition, without a "normal" Tcl installation (using a version from
>Scriptics into C:\Tcl, not just the C:\Python20\tcl form that is
>installed by default) then .tcl scripts cannot be run simply by opening
>them, and Tcl_wish does not appear to be present. Is it possible to run
>Python2.0 with the normal installation - how is Python told where to
>find Tcl?

I was able to run the bltwish24.exe executable and run tcl scripts.
Howard Lightstone
EEGSoftware
howard at eegsoftware.com