SMB Module

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Jan 3 20:23:54 EST 2001

In article <92s8b30ddt at drn.newsguy.com>, Armin Steinhoff
<Armin_member at newsguy.com> writes:

| What the heck should offer a 'SMB client library' to that planet
| since we are able to mount SMB volumes??

i don't know who you mean by "we", but certainly the vast majority
of the platforms python runs on have no capability to mount
smb/cifs filesystems natively.

i propose we drop all the internet protocol modules from the
standard library since most of them show up as file systems
under plan 9 :)

all joking aside, even on systems which implement a smb
filesystem driver in the os, there are plenty of reasons
a python module could come in useful.

for example, on many unixish systems, it requires root privilege to
mount a filesystem. and as others have noted, there are other smb
services besides disk shares. not to mention that doing these
things from python is much more convenient and portable
when you don't have to shell out to the os every time you
want to do something.

 -- erno