SMB Module

Armin Steinhoff Armin_member at newsguy.com
Tue Jan 2 04:51:31 EST 2001

In article <3A508B35.1D328941 at iit.demokritos.gr>, Vassilis says...

>Armin Steinhoff wrote:
>
>[snip]

>>for Python.
>> >
>> >I'm not really sure what your talking about Armin.
>>
>> See above ... SMB clients :)
>
>I think we have a slight misunderstanding here. Please let us remind you
>that unless you are using linux you cannot mount SMB shares since you
>lack the smbfs module which is a smb client actually.

Well ... I was talking about utilities for mounting of SMB volumes.
There are a lot of other 'smbfs' like modules for other UNIXes.
(For QNX RTP ... it's called fs-cifs)

> The SMB client library is very useful

Huh ... what is a 'SMB client library' ??

>in that respect, thus effectively allows other operating systems to access MS
>>servers.

It allows access to SMB servers ... not only M$ servers.

> Since python offers bindings for
>every other library in this planet I don't really see why such an
>addition would be  useless or inconsistent.

What the heck should offer a 'SMB client library' to that planet since we are
able to mount SMB volumes??

Armin