SMB Module

Vassilis Virvilis vasvir at iit.demokritos.gr
Wed Jan 3 17:23:24 EST 2001

Armin Steinhoff wrote:

[snip]

> >I think we have a slight misunderstanding here. Please let us remind you
> >that unless you are using linux you cannot mount SMB shares since you
> >lack the smbfs module which is a smb client actually.
>
> Well ... I was talking about utilities for mounting of SMB volumes.
> There are a lot of other 'smbfs' like modules for other UNIXes.
> (For QNX RTP ... it's called fs-cifs)

OK

> > The SMB client library is very useful
>
> Huh ... what is a 'SMB client library' ??
>
> >in that respect, thus effectively allows other operating systems to access MS
> >>servers.
>
> It allows access to SMB servers ... not only M$ servers.

That's true, although one can argue that the native file sharing
protocol for UNIX <-> UNIX file sharing is NFS. SMB is useful only when
you have MS servers involved.

> > Since python offers bindings for
> >every other library in this planet I don't really see why such an
> >addition would be  useless or inconsistent.
>
> What the heck should offer a 'SMB client library' to that planet since we are
> able to mount SMB volumes??
>
> Armin

I seem to recall the need of several people to access SMB servers which
didn't have kernel support for SMB like filesystems in their system. If
this is not the case [anymore] I apologize.

	.Bill