python compiled to native in less than a year?

Joachim Sauer saua at gmx.net
Thu Jan 18 10:54:12 EST 2001

slhath at flash.net (scott hathaway) wrote in
<qcE96.8755$J%.858944 at news.flash.net>:

[snip a lot of good points and some debatable points]

>This is wonderful for anyone programming on Windows now, and will be
>even more wonderful as soon as someone converts IL to native on Linux.

Well, I've heard such a thing before ".NET is open, you can write an .NET
environment for Linux! MS has changed!".

Well, AFAIK IL itself is pretty easy to implement (with pretty easy I mean
not much harder than an Java JVM), but the Problem is, that some (or let's
say much) of the .NET Runtime Library (which is the Equivalent to the
java.*-Packages in Java and libc.so on GNU/Linux and (dont-exactly-know-
but-might-be-something-with-kernel.dll-and-user32.dll) on Windows. Depends
heavily on the Win32 API (although it is never stated that you have to use
Win32 it to implement the .NET-Library it will be _very_ hard to do without
it).

[snip]

regards
Joachim Sauer

P.S.: As allways all this is AFAIK, so please correct me if you can.

--
No more ROT13, just for you ;-)