python compiled to native in less than a year?

Tom nospam at nospam.com
Thu Jan 18 15:26:52 EST 2001

"Joachim Sauer" <saua at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:902DAF4D1jsigsat at 195.3.96.116...
> slhath at flash.net (scott hathaway) wrote in
> <qcE96.8755$J%.858944 at news.flash.net>:
>
> [snip a lot of good points and some debatable points]
> >
> >This is wonderful for anyone programming on Windows now, and will be
> >even more wonderful as soon as someone converts IL to native on Linux.
>
> Well, I've heard such a thing before ".NET is open, you can write an .NET
> environment for Linux! MS has changed!".
>
> Well, AFAIK IL itself is pretty easy to implement (with pretty easy I mean
> not much harder than an Java JVM), but the Problem is, that some (or let's
> say much) of the .NET Runtime Library (which is the Equivalent to the
> java.*-Packages in Java and libc.so on GNU/Linux and (dont-exactly-know-
> but-might-be-something-with-kernel.dll-and-user32.dll) on Windows. Depends
> heavily on the Win32 API (although it is never stated that you have to use
> Win32 it to implement the .NET-Library it will be _very_ hard to do
without
> it).

Some of the .NET Runtime Library will be necessary for IL, but most of it
isn't.
What I'm suggesting is that a C# compiler and an IL JIT could be implemented
on Linux, with any set of libraries.
And since some of the libraries are not standardized, this would make the
most sense.

Tom.