python compiled to native in less than a year?

scott hathaway slhath at flash.net
Thu Jan 18 10:45:26 EST 2001

All the .NET languages will be translated to IL and then from IL to native
code...including python and perl.  I am at VSLive 2001 this week (no flames,
please) and ActiveState gave a demo of Visual Perl, showing how a class
written in it (living in a .dll - now called an assembly) could be called
from VB.  This will be the same for Python.

This will be huge for Python - whether you like MS or not.  I think this is
awesome.  I will be able to use Python to do "real" development in Windows.
Programmers like me have a very difficult time learning how to do a gui with
wxWindows or Tkinter.  It is much easier to paint the controls on a form.
Now, I will be able to do that and use Python as the language!

This is wonderful for anyone programming on Windows now, and will be even
more wonderful as soon as someone converts IL to native on Linux.

I think that this will be much more influential to Python than Jython.  I
think it may be the new "preferred" way to use Python for many Windows
developers.

Scott

news:946coc130tl at news2.newsguy.com...