Best way to learn Python ?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Wed Jan 17 12:34:44 EST 2001

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:943sn302g4p at news2.newsguy.com...
> "J5" <johnny5s_alive at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:aa8a6t895h8l3k2q7nmhd25oh6m7haulj9 at 4ax.com...
> > No schools teach it, so what books do you recommend ?
>
> O'Reilly's "Learning Python", by Lutz and Ascher, for a slow,
> patient, very thorough introduction to the basics; or, if you
> prefer faster pace and more breadth (but a bit less depth),
> Manning's "Quick Python Book", by Harms and McDonald.

Yes. I agree.
Add to this list the bright new one:

'Core Python Programming' by Wesley Chun

Paperback - 500 pages 1st edition (December 15, 2000)
Prentice Hall; ISBN: 0130260363
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130260363/o/qid=979751098/sr=8-1/ref
=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-8994515-3258904

Very well written. It is the clearest, friendliest book I have come across
yet for explaining Python, and putting it in a wider context. It does not
presume a large amount of other experience. It may be too slow for more
advanced people, but it does goe into some important Python topics carefully
and in depth. Unlike too many beginner books, it never condescends or
tortures the reader with childish hide-and-seek prose games. The author
helped to develop 'Yahoo!Mail' and 'Yahoo!People Search' using Python. Not
too many in-depth realworld examples in the book [hopefully he will do a
followup volume], it sticks to gaining a solid grasp of Python syntax and
structure. But there is some good stuff on regulra espressions, network
Sockets

Plus+ if you are working on Win32, check out:

'Python Programming on Win32' by Mark hammond and Andy Robinson
Paperback - 652 pages 1 Ed edition (January 2000)
O'Reilly & Associates; ISBN: 1565926218
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926218/qid%3D979752107/107-899451
5-3258904

Packed with useful practical stuff. Very well written. Good examples.
Essential for any Python + COM work. One of the authors [Mark Hammond] wrote
the PythonWin extensions, so he really knows what he is talking about. As a
Python beginner's book it dives in deep very quickly, and althouth the intro
to Python is good, it does assume prior programming experience. Lots of
great stuff on how to connect Python with MSExcel and plenty of real-world
operating sytem interfacing examples.

good luck!
- Jason