BUG Python 2.0 FreeBSD compile problem

William Carrel williamc at go2net.com
Thu Jan 11 22:31:50 EST 2001

amk at mira.erols.com (A.M. Kuchling) writes:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:31:26 -0600 (CST),
> 	Chris Watson <chris at voodooland.net> wrote:
> >Python is IN the ports tree. And someone (the maintainer of that port) had
> >already gone to the trouble to patch it and insure it compiles well and
> >added the other nice features of "ports" in FreeBSD. So there was no need
>
> And this points up an annoying thing about FreeBSD; patches are made
> to get Python to compile on the platform, but those changes aren't
> contributed *back* to the original Python source tree.  How can one
> find out what changes were made to a package in the ports tree?

Look for patches in the ports tree...
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/python/files/

Although I believe the standard procedure is to submit those patches
to the project as soon as possible so that there are less patches to
maintain in the ports tree.

But-I-build-from-CVS-anyway-even-if-I-have-ports-ly yours -- Andy