BUG Python 2.0 FreeBSD compile problem

Chris Watson chris at voodooland.net
Thu Jan 11 22:12:34 EST 2001

> And this points up an annoying thing about FreeBSD; patches are made
> to get Python to compile on the platform, but those changes aren't
> contributed *back* to the original Python source tree.  How can one
> find out what changes were made to a package in the ports tree?

	Well thats not quite true. Many many port maintainers DO feed
their patches back. But I also know that a few application authors don't
like certain groups and sometimes refuse to take said patches. I am *not*
saying python is one of them. I am just saying with over 4500+ ports there
are a few that don't want the patches that are submitted. I will even
write the port maintainer now for the python port and see if he ever
submitted the patches back. From the looks of it, it doesn't look like
python itself was ever patched. There is only two patches in the python
port dir. One 2 line chance pointing to correct locations to install to
because configure doesnt always get it right, and the other adds four
targets to CFLAGS. Nothing ever modified for python itself. So now I
wonder what the original posters problem with compiling 2.0 was. If these
are the only patches I dont see why he needed __FreeBSD__ to get it to
compile. Ill go build the tarball myself in a second and see if it works.

	To see what patches are done cd /usr/ports/lang/python/files. ls
that dir and you will see the patches named patch-xx where xx is aa, ab,
ac etc.. depending on how many there are.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner at jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner at deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"