Newbie question

thrasymedes at my-deja.com thrasymedes at my-deja.com
Sat Jan 27 01:14:51 EST 2001

Hi,
   This is, as the subject line suggests, a newbie question (actually
several questions).  I have read the FAQ at Python.org but I still have
a couple of queries.  I'd be equally happy with a direct answer or a
reference to another FAQ.

1. I am running Python under Windows98.  I have successfully written
some basic modules and called them from the interactive prompt, but my
manual (the O'Reilly 'Learning Python') doesn't seem to say anything
about compiling standalone executables.  Is there more documentation
about this somewhere on the Web site?  Or doesn't Python do standalones?

2. I am currently using Python 1.5.2 and the appropriate version of
Pythonwin for it.  Should I upgrade to Python 2.1 or ActivePython or
some other version?  (I have no intention in the short term to do
anything more with it than footle around trying to figure out how it
works (virtually no prior programming experience) and maybe writing
some programs with a purely ASCII display.)

Thanks very much, regards, Thrasymedes.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/