Newbie question

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jan 27 03:23:40 EST 2001

thrasymedes at my-deja.com wrote:

> 2. I am currently using Python 1.5.2 and the appropriate version of
> Pythonwin for it.  Should I upgrade to Python 2.1 or ActivePython or
> some other version?  (I have no intention in the short term to do
> anything more with it than footle around trying to figure out how it
> works (virtually no prior programming experience) and maybe writing
> some programs with a purely ASCII display.)

The only reason for you to upgrade, given your stated intentions,
is if you start to get confused with information you read here
or elsewhere which refers to a different version of Python than
the one you are using (it would probably be version 2.0).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Of course, if you have even the slightest urge to upgrade,
it's not exactly a difficult process, so I wouldn't worry
about this one if I were you.

(Sorry I can't adequately answer your first question.)