3D animation

Christopher Lee clee at gnwy100.wuh.wustl.edu
Sun Feb 18 10:52:10 EST 2001

>>>>> "shaka" == shaka  <fabrice.n at home.com> writes:

    shaka> Ya, I am planning to write a program to present a project at
    shaka> school.  I need a language that will allow me to do 3D
    shaka> animations and other animation.

I would recommend:

PyOpenGL:  for OpenGL scripting
           requires that you know or are willing to learn OpenGL.
           http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

VPython:   for easy visualization of physical systems.  Very cool.  Looks good
           for beginners.
           http://virtualphoton.pc.cc.cmu.edu/projects/visual/
           (link seems to not be working at the moment. check google)

You might also want to look at pygame (http://pygame.seul.org) for
producing multimedia animations.  For really heavy duty visualization,
there's also the visualization toolkit (VTK at
http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html) and IBM's Open Data Explorer (OpenDx at
http://www.opendx.org), both of which have python bindings.

-christopher