3D animation

Bryan Mongeau bryan at eevolved.com
Sun Feb 18 09:32:40 EST 2001

shaka wrote:

> Ya, I am planning to write a program to present a project at school.  I
> need
> a language that will allow me to do 3D animations and other animation.
> And I am struggling between writting the program in java or using python.
> Can someone help me?  If python is the ultimate choice then can you give
> me some instructions on what libraries I should use, because I am quite a
> beginner here>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shaka. Z

Honestly couldn't tell you if Java has anything better for this purpose but
I can tell you python has what you need.

First you need a real GUI toolkit. Try:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxgui/
Make sure to compile with OpenGL support.

with the python bindings here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fxpy/

Grab the openGL bindings:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyopengl/

Now you should be set to look at the funky GL tests that come in the FXPy
bindings. This should give you a great example of what you can do easily in
python.

Good luck.
--
Bryan Mongeau

"This is one of the hardest lessons for humans to learn. We cannot admit
that things might be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind, but
simply callous - indifferent to all suffering, lacking all purpose." --
Richard Dawkins