Python on the desktop

Sarat Venugopal sarat_venugopal at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 03:53:17 EST 2001

Hi all,
   I am fairly new to Python, in the sense that I haven't written
anything substantial in it, although I have gone through all the major
books so far. Coming from a strong, industrial strength C++
application development background, let me make some quick
observations. Needless to say, I am quite fascinated with the language
primarily beacause of the strong emphasis on readability and
maintainability of the code(Indentation, namespaces and the works). I
guess if speed is the only issue, Python should suffice for a number
of applications.

 1. If python is to permeate the realm of commercial desktop (in
whatever scope), we need the ability to convert it into a native
executable(I have taken a look at some of the limited solutions
available from individuals). I read somewhere, it may never be
possible in Python. Can anyone throw light on this?
 Most commercial applications wouldn't want to expose the source code
or even leave it as byte-code(Note: ActiveState has announced a
compiler for Perl)

 2. Absence of a standard GUI, which really fits the major platforms.
For a lanuage like Python, this is really a handicap. Would I do it in
Tkinter on Windows? No way. I guess that's why there are so many other
independent implementations out there. There is so much fragmentation
of effort here(Analogous to KDE, GNOME,...on Linux).

 3. Does the community see Python as a full-fledged programming
language? I remember Zope being projected as the killer app for
Python. Does that mean Python is going to hide behind web servers, be
yet another general/web scripting language and probably a rapid
prototyping tool? I guess the language deserves a better treatment.

 What do you people think?

Cheers,
Sarat

"Merry Christmas!"