Python on the desktop

Benjamin Schollnick junkster at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 21 06:59:07 EST 2001

In article <94e3fce8.0112210053.2568529d at posting.google.com>,
 sarat_venugopal at yahoo.com (Sarat Venugopal) wrote:

>  1. If python is to permeate the realm of commercial desktop (in
> whatever scope), we need the ability to convert it into a native
> executable(I have taken a look at some of the limited solutions
> available from individuals). I read somewhere, it may never be
> possible in Python. Can anyone throw light on this?
>  Most commercial applications wouldn't want to expose the source code
> or even leave it as byte-code(Note: ActiveState has announced a
> compiler for Perl)

   There is at least two different solutions...

   For the PC Platform...

      1) Gordon Mcmillian's Installer, quite a nice package....
         (Supports *nix, & Windows)

      2) PY2exe

   On the Macintosh, you don't even need anything in addition.
   They include a complete freeze system, that allows you to
   create binaries...

   On the unix side, you should also be able to use the freeze
   package that's included with Python??

>  2. Absence of a standard GUI, which really fits the major platforms.
> For a lanuage like Python, this is really a handicap. Would I do it in
> Tkinter on Windows? No way. I guess that's why there are so many other
> independent implementations out there. There is so much fragmentation
> of effort here(Analogous to KDE, GNOME,...on Linux).

   Tkinter works reasonably well... But there are other packages
   out there with interfaces available for python.

   The main reason, I've used Tkinter is it works cross platform
   with my Macintosh & PC programming.  It does of course matter
   where you are cross-platforming to & from...

   Check out the Vaults of Parnassus : Python Resources web site..
   Most of the GUI projects should be listed there...

>  3. Does the community see Python as a full-fledged programming
> language? I remember Zope being projected as the killer app for
> Python. Does that mean Python is going to hide behind web servers, be
> yet another general/web scripting language and probably a rapid
> prototyping tool? I guess the language deserves a better treatment.

   I use python as a full & complete programming language, because
   it is....Ask 100 people, and get 50 different answers....Everyone
   has their own answer...

         - Benjamin