Python on the desktop

Benji York benji_york at cal-na.com
Fri Dec 21 10:12:36 EST 2001

sarat_venugopal at yahoo.com (Sarat Venugopal) wrote in message news:<94e3fce8.0112210053.2568529d at posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>  1. If python is to permeate the realm of commercial desktop (in
> whatever scope), we need the ability to convert it into a native
> executable... I read somewhere, it may never be
> possible in Python. Can anyone throw light on this?

Due to Python's highly dynamic nature, a "compiled" version would do
pretty much what the VM does now, but the executables would be very
large.  If you're wanting speed, check out the nascent Psyco project
(http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~arigo/psyco/).  If you just want to
obscure the code, then I wouldn't worry too much.  In my estimation,
byte-compiled python is only marginally easier to decompile (not
dis-assemble) than C, C++, or Java.  (Note that there are some
sophisticated C, C++, and Java decompilers.)

>  2. Absence of a standard GUI, which really fits the major platforms.

I'd go with wxWindows all the way here: native look and feel,
cross-platform, multiple laguage support, lots of functionality.  I've
worked with TK and looked deeply into some of the other GUI libraries,
and wx is the all-around best (see http://www.wxwindows.org/ and
http://www.wxpython.org/).  For a good GUI builder check out (the
commercial, but inexpensive) wxDesigner (http://www.roebling.de/)
which produces code in C++, Perl, and Python.

>  3. Does the community see Python as a full-fledged programming
> language?

I do.  I've been doing web apps, utility scripts, command line apps,
batch processes, and GUI apps (daily) in Python for over two years
now.  It is definatly the language that I develop the most quickly in,
and produce the most maintainable code.  (The two most important
factors of PL choice IMHO.)

--
Benji York
york6 at mindspring.com