Fate of win32all?

Bruce Eckel Bruce at EckelObjects.com
Sat Dec 29 12:31:59 EST 2001

>Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread - I really
appreciate the
>supportive words.  I am very sure I will land on my feet, so there
is no
>need to worry (now if someone would just tell that to my
girlfriend :)

Women are wired different -- they look to security first. I find
it's easier for me if I can keep that in mind, so I can deal with
their strong reactions to anything unsettling (like going
independent).

It would seem to me that your special abilities would make you very
desirable as a consultant -- being able to do *anything* quickly
and easily on Windows is always a valuable thing.

>FWIW, it is this very community spirit that makes Python such a
pleasure
>to be involved in - so that yourselves as much as me - if not for
this
>spirit I would not have been here in the first place!

That's one thing that makes me feel so great about Python, and to
want to spend all my time here -- the community is the best I've
seen. C++ was fine (I gained a great deal of understanding from
years on the standards committee), but there was a lot of
academic-style infighting that I had to ignore. Java has always had
the Sun wall around it; I've never felt part of any community there
(perhaps its because I've known Stroustrup and others on a
reasonably personal basis, through the community, for many years,
but Gosling and the folks at Sun have always seemed aloof. Perhaps
it's something I did). But the Python folks are so great, so
civilized, so international (or rather, non-national), with a
tendency towards reason and thought and away from shrillness.
Something happened somehow that seems to have generated a
self-enlightening organism, that just draws people into it and
maybe even rearranges their brains a bit. We need to bottle this
and distribute it to the world at large.

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming at earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar