COM "out" Variant Array params and such

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Mon Dec 3 17:39:29 EST 2001

Michael Kelly wrote:

>>The correct way to call this should be:
>>
>>VariantArrayOfStrings = MyIniFile.ReadSections("Section name")
>>

> I implemented it that way initially but had all kinds of problems with
> clients in other languages, so I changed it to an out param that was
> not a retval and that cleared things up for at least VB6, D5 and
> Vc++6.

It should work the same way from Python whether retval or out.  If you
have *both* a retval and an out param, then you specify both:

rc, VariantArrayOfStrings = MyIniFile.ReadSections("Section name")

> I noticed something that sounded similar on the bug list.  Is
> ActivePython using an older build of win32-all??  There seems
> to be a download for a newer build on the ActivePython site
> but it stipulates it's for use with the other dist.  I downloaded
> it but I'm wondering if unpacking on top of ActivePython will
> hose my installation?

The latest ActivePython and win32all are identical.  The next version of
either/both should have this fix.

Mark.