Tinker vs wxPython ?- Opinions/Views

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Dec 9 00:37:03 EST 2001

adina_levin at mindspring.com wrote:

> "Peter Hansen" wrote:
> > > wxPython Cons:
> > [...]
> > > Difficult to learn [...]
> > > Less stable than Tkinter [...]
> >
> > I have to disagree with these two.
[...]
> > Clearly this is a case of YMMV...

(Note: "YMMV" = Your Mileage May Vary  ;-) )

> For experienced programmers who are familiar with the basic GUI toolkit
> pattern, the Wx code examples are probably pretty obvious.
>
> For new programmers, the Tk tutorials will explain basic concepts such as a
> hierarchy of widgets, configuration with parameters, assigning callback
> options, and visual layout using constraints, grid, or page positioning.

This is an interesting point.  I'm an experienced programmer, and
oddly enough I did not find Tk very understandable at the time I
tried using it.  Maybe this is the key difference between the two.
Tkinter is the official standard GUI for Python and is (so I hear :-)
easier to learn for beginners, while other frameworks are potentially
easier for experienced developers (maybe because they have strong
feelings about what they want to accomplish, and Tkinter is unable
to provide adequate sophistication?).

> Wrote my first GUI app last weekend and struggled mightily with Wx, then
> gave up -- I wasn't able to pick out the patterns from the sample code.
>
> Then I read through the "Programming Python" chapters on Tkinter, and was
> enlightened.

still-not-enlightened-but-python-helps-my-karma-ly yr's  ;-)
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com