Python-2.2a1.exe: "Can't run 16-bit Windows program"

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Fri Aug 10 16:11:47 EDT 2001

[...]
> Else wait for
> 2.2a2 -- the 2.2a2 installer is a 32-bit program, and appears
> to work much
> better on Win2K boxes with paranoid settings.

I am an admin on this machine.  I can't even log out right now because I've
got processes running that take hours to complete and I don't want to
interrupt them. :-(

[...]

> You don't need to do anything, although the file extensions
> (.py etc) will
> get registered to use the most recent version of Python you installed.
> Nothing we can do about that -- that's just how Windows
> works.  The 2.2a2
> installer will register file extensions on a per-user basis
> (on Win2K -- not
> possible on other Windows flavors), though, provided you select the
> "Non-Admin install" radio button in its "Advanced Options"
> dialog.  It also
> has an option not to register file extensions at all.  None
> of that exists
> in the 2.2a1 (or any earlier) installer.

Is there a way of switching back and forth between 2.1 and 2.2?  Does that
involve running the unisntaller and then running the installer for the other
one?  Maybe I can just re-run the ActiveState installer when I want to
revert to 2.1 and then re-run the 2.2* installer when I want to try 2.2
again, eh?

Thanks!

John