Python-2.2a1.exe: "Can't run 16-bit Windows program"

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Aug 10 15:58:50 EDT 2001

[John Schmitt]
> I'm running Windows 2000 and I'm trying to install 2.2a1 when I get this
> error message.

Try installing while logged in to an Administrator account.  Else wait for
2.2a2 -- the 2.2a2 installer is a 32-bit program, and appears to work much
better on Win2K boxes with paranoid settings.

> I've got ActiveState 2.1 installed currently.  What happens when I install
> 2.2a1 - do I need to change registry settings or do I need to simply set
> environment variables?  I don't recollect how do have two installation at
> the same time.

You don't need to do anything, although the file extensions (.py etc) will
get registered to use the most recent version of Python you installed.
Nothing we can do about that -- that's just how Windows works.  The 2.2a2
installer will register file extensions on a per-user basis (on Win2K -- not
possible on other Windows flavors), though, provided you select the
"Non-Admin install" radio button in its "Advanced Options" dialog.  It also
has an option not to register file extensions at all.  None of that exists
in the 2.2a1 (or any earlier) installer.