Python-2.2a1.exe: "Can't run 16-bit Windows program"

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Fri Aug 10 17:02:26 EDT 2001

Ah.  I think I'm with ya.  <wink>

> happening in
> "a normal" Win2K setup.

> > Is there a way of switching back and forth between 2.1 and 2.2?
>
> Sorry, I don't know what you're asking.  If you install them

No need to be sorry.  Indeed, *I'm* sorry.  What I meant was, if I have a
Python program in my %PATH% somewhere, say

c:\bin\foo.py

and I'm launch that program from the command prompt like this:

d:\myproject\skunkworks\> foo

(I have %PATHEXT% set correctly)

I'd like to be able to set a switch somewhere that decides whether to use
ActiveState 2.1, python.org 2.2a1, 2.2a2, etc.  Since you have several
Python installations going at the same time, perhaps you can share how you
manage all these installations.

> into different
> directories, what else do you think *might* be needed?

Um, %PYTHONHOME%, %PYTHONPATH% etc might need adjusting.

[...my painful installer babble omitted...]

John

Thanks for your help.

BTW, is your <wink> emoticon overloaded?  I'm not completely confident that
I grok what it is meant to convey.  Can you help me out with that too?