Python-2.2a1.exe: "Can't run 16-bit Windows program"

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 11 06:12:46 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:

> Then you're relying on file extension associations, and they're a global
> shared resource on Windows:  the most recently installed Python "wins".  We
> can't hide that from you:  that's how Windows works (with the possible
> exception of Win2K, where you *could* create a different user account for
> each version of Python, each with its own file associations; that isn't
> possible before Win2K, and would be a total PITA under Win2K anyway).

Although I wish there was a little script to "make this Python
installation current". It is not only what interpreter is associated
with the Run command, but also which Pythonwin (or whatever) is
associated with the Edit command.

Something like "Python 2.0 is not your default Python interpreter. Do
you want to make it default?" with a check box "Always check on
startup", you get the idea :-)

Regards,
Martin