ANNOUNCE: python-win32 mailing list

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Apr 3 12:44:55 EDT 2001

http://www.python.org/sigs/pythonwin-sig/

      From:  Barry Warsaw
      Date:  Fri Jun 20, 1997 6:21pm
      Subject:  [PYTHONWIN-SIG] List Decommissioning

Friday 20-Jun-1997 the Pythonwin-SIG was decommissioned.  Mark
Hammond, the list's owner, describes it this way (slightly reformatted):

    In a nutshell, we are going to shut down Pythonwin-sig so the
    traffic moves back to the main Python newsgroup.  The main reasons
    for this are:

    * As Windows is becoming less "niche" for Python, a SIG is missing
      a large potential audience, and does not get the benefits of
      DejaNews, etc.

    * A SIG is supposed to be focussed on a specific, reasonably
      short-term deliverable.  Pythonwin 1.0 was it, and it is out :-)

    * The traffic is reasonably significant, and the logical direction
      is for comp.lang.python to split in some form - probably a
      ms-windows subgroup and possibly other OS's at the same time.

    So moving all Windows traffic back to the main Python newgroup
    will tend to help more people, and demonstrate the need (or lack
    of) for a specific python.ms-windows news group.

    Although this will actually be a pain for a small number of people
    (myself included!), it is generally felt by enough people that
    matter that should happen!  It is recommended that if you want to
    get my attention in a post to the main Python list, that "Windows"
    or "Pythonwin" etc appear in the subject line...

    So I suppose this would also make a good opportunity to thank
    everyone who has supported Pythonwin and more recently some of the
    COM stuff Greg and I have been doing.  I know that without at
    least the feeling that my efforts were both appreciated and used I
    wouldnt have been do keen to do things that werent directly to my
    benefit.  But while I do find myself recently forced to spend more
    time concentrating on generating income, by no means does this
    mean I am going anywere or be any less vocal in my support of
    Python.

Cheers /F