Natural Language Programming???

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Apr 10 11:33:25 EDT 2001

In article <NwCA6.135035$m04.5529724 at e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>, Steve Holden wrote:

>Looks to me like one of his first commands was "write me a web
>site that makes the project believable to people who have never
>worked in artificial intelligence".
>
>The way he talks about natural language, you'd think it had
>none of the ambiguities most people in applications development
>spend a lot of their time overcoming. It looks like (publicity
>for) some of the 1960's approaches. Not a single reference to
>serious work on the subject.

One of the main problems in software development today is that
you can't get people to describe what they want precisely.
Having them request vague and impossible things of an AI isn't
going to generate any better results (even IF he really had an
AI that could understand natural language).

>Either Brennan is a well-meaning but deluded non-engineer or this is a
>funding sink.

Yup.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are the STEWED PRUNES
                                  at               still in the HAIR DRYER?