Natural Language Programming???

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 10 07:56:22 EDT 2001

"Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:859+JjASkt06EwlK at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk...
> In article <3AD27A6A.58E43875 at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>, Greg Ewing
> <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes
> >Ken Seehof wrote:
> >>
> >> Um.  By the way, if Bob needs a good cgi system he should use PMZ
> >> or medusa.
> >
> >Nah, he should just be able to type BUILD ME A
> >REALLY GOOD CGI SYSTEM into his thingamebob
> >and leave it to do the work...

:-)

> if the AI's really smart it's probably telling him to shove it where the
> sun don't shine.

Looks to me like one of his first commands was "write me a web site that
makes the project believable to people who have never worked in artificial
intelligence".

The way he talks about natural language, you'd think it had none of the
ambiguities most people in applications development spend a lot of their
time overcoming. It looks like (publicity for) some of the 1960's
approaches. Not a single reference to serious work on the subject.

Either Brennan is a well-meaning but deluded non-engineer or this is a
funding sink.

Oh, and his AI doesn't seem to know what an HTML frame is, either! I
especially like that it's so good at writing HTML you have to email input
for submission to the technology demonstrator. Guess they must be too busy
beating off investors...

regards
 Steve

regards