[Q] Rolling your own binary distribution/installation of Python 2.0

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 12:19:02 EDT 2001

"John Copella" <jcopella at cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:NFkA6.14489$Qi6.1515105 at typhoon.tampabay.rr.com...
> I am in the early phases of developing a product based on Python and will
> need to provide a binary distribution for customers who do not already
have
> Python installed.  Of course, the distribution should be installable
> anywhere in the filesystem.  Is there any easy way (thinking here of an
> existing utility or install script) to package my Python binaries so that
> they can be installed in an arbitrary location in the filesystem?  For

A binary distribution will of course need to depend on the
specific platform you're deploying on.  If it's Windows,
see http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/; if
it's not (or, just to explore all possibilities, even if
it IS:-), see the links at the end of the same page, most
particularly Gordon McMillan's "installer".

Alex