[Q] Rolling your own binary distribution/installation of Python 2.0

John Copella jcopella at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 13 12:59:57 EDT 2001

Hmmm.  I looked into the "Installer" utility you referred me to (and the FAQ
another gentleman mentioned) and these are close, but don't quite address
the problem.  I probably didn't explain this very well, but I don't have a
top-level script to "freeze" -- which is the precondition these tools seem
to require.  What I need to do instead is provide just the Python runtime
facilities (interpreter, modules, etc.) so that field engineers can develop
scripts on the customer's machine.  The ideal would be to just tar and zip
the contents of --prefix at some suitable location, but I suspect this
approach is too simple-minded.

I need to support HP-UX and AIX, fwiw.  Did I miss something?  Clearly this
is possible -- ActiveState has done it (unfortunately only for Windows,
Linux and Solaris), I'm just hoping it's not a lot of work.  Any additional
ideas short of digging into the Python installation scripts and rolling my
own?

John Copella

news:9asndg0k9p at news1.newsguy.com...