[Q] Rolling your own binary distribution/installation of Python 2.0

John Copella jcopella at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 9 11:36:13 EDT 2001

I am in the early phases of developing a product based on Python and will
need to provide a binary distribution for customers who do not already have
Python installed.  Of course, the distribution should be installable
anywhere in the filesystem.  Is there any easy way (thinking here of an
existing utility or install script) to package my Python binaries so that
they can be installed in an arbitrary location in the filesystem?  For
various reasons (see my previous post regarding the need to use the same
compiler to build Python and its extensions), I don't believe I will be able
to use any of the prepackaged binary distributions (ActiveState, etc.) and
will have to roll my own.

Any assistance greatly appreciated,

John Copella