standard deployment for wxPython on Windows? (fwd)

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Tue Apr 3 13:02:54 EDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Robin Dunn wrote:
> Use py2exe or Gordon's Installer to gather the DLLs and PYDs that your app
> needs as well as a compressed archive of the python code attached to a
> launcher EXE.  Then use a standard installer builder such as Inno Setup to
> make an installer executable.  In it's script you can have it do version
> checking, etc. for any system DLLs, everything else (wx*.dll, python*.dll,
> etc.) can go into the application directory.

Thank you, and I'm actually doing this already with
wonderful results.  My concern is DLL conflicts,
however.  Perhaps DLL Hell has gone away in Windows
land the last few years, but I doubt it.

py2exe has built my distribution so that I'm putting the
following files in my install directory:  python20.dll,
pythoncom20.dll, PyWinTypes20.dll, win32api.pyd, win32trace.pyd,
win32ui.pyd, wx22_2.dll, wxc.pyd

What happens when 10 of us do this?  What happens when
we distribute files with the same file(module) name with
different patch levels?  As I remember, the first program
loaded wins... thus if both program A and program B have
python20.dll in their directories, the file loaded depends
upon which program A or B is loaded first...  this is
a problem with different patch levels.  I was just
wondering what our strategy for doing this is?

Thank you so much!

Clark