standard deployment for wxPython on Windows? (fwd)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 14:51:28 EDT 2001

"Clark C. Evans" <cce at clarkevans.com> wrote in message
    [snip]
> wonderful results.  My concern is DLL conflicts,
> however.  Perhaps DLL Hell has gone away in Windows
> land the last few years, but I doubt it.

It has not (despite the promises for Win2000), but
it's not as bad as you make it.

> py2exe has built my distribution so that I'm putting the
> following files in my install directory:  python20.dll,
> pythoncom20.dll, PyWinTypes20.dll, win32api.pyd, win32trace.pyd,
> win32ui.pyd, wx22_2.dll, wxc.pyd
>
> What happens when 10 of us do this?  What happens when
> we distribute files with the same file(module) name with
> different patch levels?

You waste a lot of the user's disk-space, but that's all.

> As I remember, the first program
> loaded wins... thus if both program A and program B have
> python20.dll in their directories, the file loaded depends
> upon which program A or B is loaded first...  this is
> a problem with different patch levels.  I was just

Nope, multiple DLL's with the same name, from different
directories, can perfectly well be loaded in different
processes at the same time.

The problem has to do with programs installing their DLL's
in _system_ directories -- as they used to have to do (still
do, I believe, on Win/ME) for a few DLL's identified as
"crucial system libraries", such as MSVCRT.DLL.

Alex