Options for use of Python in dynamic web-pages?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Oct 4 10:10:33 EDT 2000

In article <8rf0u1$rlf$1 at news1.xs4all.nl>,
Iwan van der  Kleyn <ivdkleyn at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I have to implement a website with quite a lot of dynamic web-pages for a
>non-profit organisation. Because of this the target-platforms are Linux,
>Apache and Python (budgetary reasons; Python has been selected for its ease
>of use though) . However, the present (static) site already generates quite
>a lot of traffic so, guessing from all the negative commentary considering
>the performance of Python with "plain" CGI I've found on the Web, I'll need
>a special module wich integrates the Python interpreter into Apache. (Zope
>is no option BTW, too complex for the moment :-)
>
>My question is: which one? I've found several modules wich promises fast use
>of Python: pyApache, the "Python FastCGI Wrapper",
>mod_Python and "Webware for Python". Could anyone give advice about which
>product to use? Are they stable, any disadvantages?
			.
			.
			.
<URL:http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/web_python.html>
has a few pointers to such comparisons.

My personal belief is that the majority of "all the negative commentary
consider the performance of Python with 'plain' CGI I've found on the Web"
is ... ill-informed.  If you like CGI, start with CGI.  If the performance
isn't adequate, ask for a tuning tip or two.  THEN, if necessary, you can
choose one of the other systems, with only a modest cost of transition.

On the other hand, I happen to like some of the in-process Python-savvy
Web servers, so I use them.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net