please help with Windows 98 install

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 04:37:04 EDT 2000

You are probably getting messages, but the DOS box is dying before you have
a chance to read them. One thing to try is to open a command line DOS box
(from the Start|Programs menu), and to run the module from there.

> The documentation for Pmw says that the lib directory should be included
> in
> the sys.path variable.  This suggests to me that the import for Pmw is
> failing when the console drops out.  When I run a MS-DOS prompt window and
> type 'set', I don't see a sys.path variable.  Is this is Unix advice, like
> much in the Pmw documentation?

sys.path is the Python path. How this is set differs from OS to OS. To set
it under Win98, add something like this to the C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

SET PYTHONPATH = c:\spam;c:\egg\chips

and reboot. The directories specified will be ahead of the standard Python
folders when you fire up Python.

I'm not sure that you'll have to mess with this, though. PMW is a package,
so it should work OK if it's in a subdirectory of your Python directory.

> My background: I have considerable experience writing shell and perl
> scripts
> on Unix but I am not a professional Unix systems administrator.  I am at
> beginner level with MS-DOS and its relationship to Windows.  I could
> probably do the installation of Pmw to Linux more easily, but I have
> particular reasons to want to use Python windowing applications in a
> Windows
> environment, including Windows NT on my desktop.

OK, now one for you - I installed SuSE at the weekend, and my mind is
*totally* blown. I've never used and *nix OS before. I had been under the
impression that if you had '#!/usr/bin/env python' as the first line of your
script, you could treat the script as executable, but it isn't happening.
Any pointers?

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.