please help with Windows 98 install

Dag Sunde dag at orion.no
Mon Oct 23 02:59:57 EDT 2000

The sys.path is not an environment variable,
its an attribute of pythons sys-module.

In windows its read from the registry, and you can edit it
from the <Tools>-<Edit Python Path> menu in PythonWin. (Its the default
entry under the "PythonPath" key...)

...or, you can (like under un*x) set up an environment variable
named: PYTHONPATH, an point it to all your 3rd party/external libraries.

HTH...

Dag.

"Jeff Melvaine" <jeffm52 at rivernet.com.au> wrote in message
news:39f385ac at news.rivernet.com.au...
> I have downloaded Python 1.5.2 to my Dell laptop under Windows 98, and the
> installation works; a simple hello world Tkinter application (copied from
> Grayson's book) executes as expected, simply by double clicking its icon
in
> the browser.  I also downloaded Pmw, but when I try to run a simple Pmw
> application (any of the demos, for example) the same way, the MS-DOS
console
> window stays up for all of half a second and dies without logging a
message.

> The documentation for Pmw says that the lib directory should be included
in
> the sys.path variable.  This suggests to me that the import for Pmw is
> failing when the console drops out.  When I run a MS-DOS prompt window and
> type 'set', I don't see a sys.path variable.  Is this is Unix advice, like
> much in the Pmw documentation?
>
> My background: I have considerable experience writing shell and perl
scripts
> on Unix but I am not a professional Unix systems administrator.  I am at
> beginner level with MS-DOS and its relationship to Windows.  I could
> probably do the installation of Pmw to Linux more easily, but I have
> particular reasons to want to use Python windowing applications in a
Windows