Wholly unnecessary flame. (was Re: pyXML!)

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 1 04:20:51 EDT 2000

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

> > That obviously doesn't include the .pyd files for the actual Python
> > modules.  The poster's original point is quite correct -- the
> > persistent state of the Windows distribution was always "out-of-date".
>
> Is it still?  As far as I know, I put everything you need to use XML into
> the 2.0b2 Windows distribution, including pyexpat.pyd.  But I don't follow
> XML, so don't make me guess:  if more than that is needed, let me know what!
> I'll put it in.

In PyXML 0.6, setup.py would indeed detect that Python provides
pyexpat and therefore no compilation is needed.

In 0.6.1, I will re-enable Fredrik Lundh's sgmlop module, so a
compiler will again be required. However, I plan to distribute the
output of 'setup.py bdist_wininst', so Windows users get a nice
installer interface.

Now, if somebody could tackle the issue of building extension modules
on Mac OS X, I could change our bug report from "other people's
problem" to "fixed".

Regards,
Martin