Internet C++ and Python?

Mike Müller mmueller at dgfz.de
Fri Nov 17 02:24:15 EST 2000

I just discovered something interesting in the German “Linux Magazin”
(12/200 p. 88). It is called Internet C++ which is something like Java just
for C++.
There is a virtual machine named icvm.
It is supposed to be very fast. The author of the article (Tom Schwaller)
did NOT see any difference to compiled C++ after porting to editors to icvm.
C++'s homepage is http://www.xmisssion.com/~icvm .
The most interesting point to me is the possibility to compile python
directly into icvm-bytecode just like Jython into Java bytecode but with the
difference of a higher performance.

There seem to be some remaining problems:
- no support for shared libraries (yet)
- no threads (yet)
- no GPL but open source which is free for free OSes only (similar to
OpenMotif) and the source can only be changed with permission of the
original author (Information form “Linux Magazin” article by Tom Schwaller
(mentioned above) not from the IC++ homepage)

Besides those shortcomings, would something like icvm be a good thing for
python?
So far the only thing about Python I dislike is the slow performance for
some tasks.

Any comments or ideas.?

Mike