Python in the future

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Wed May 3 02:27:16 EDT 2000

> Sorry for being rude or an A$$, but the question of where computer
> technology will be in the next 5-10 years is crazy!  And the comment
> that Python will be a string presence, if you have learned from
> historical events, things like BETA, Mac, and Python have and will
> disappear.  When it comes to technology, people want what the majority
> has along with lots of support!  Right now, I see Python being the BETA,
> and Perl being the VHS.  Maybe in a YEAR or TWO, Python will have gained
> more support in the industry, and if it doesn't, I see it being replaced
> just like the BETA machine's did.

The error in your reasoning occured when you likened computer
programmers to lemming-like consumers who do what everyone
else is doing. Since Perl has always had a vastly larger
presence than Python, but Python is growing in spite of this,
your analogy seems even further mistaken. Two strikes.......

But the real question is will Python ever really become a
mainstream language. Good question! Time will tell...

C/